First Week in The Bahamas

by john Email

10/20/09

Where to Next?

If the wind shifts a bit East tonight, we will leave tomorrow morning for Grand Bahama Island, about sixty miles to the North of us. There are postal facilities and internet there, however it is unclear when we might catch up to them.

10/16/09

We had a lovely sail today from South Cat Key anchorage up to Bimini. We heard that the wind was going to change to a heavy Norther, so we decided to get into better shelter.

Malia opted not to dose out with Dramamine, so she and I sailed with the wind on our quarter for the ten or so miles up.

When we came up to the Bimini channel range markers, we turned on the motor and cautiously jibed, being very eager not to repeat my experience of being aground at this very spot 2 years ago.

We sailed right up to a couple boat lengths of the beach, jibed again and sailed almost up until we anchored outside the channel near the docks.

10/12/09

We made Honeymoon Harbor at Gunn Key after a long night of sailing upwind, with some frustrating gear failure, but nothing I can't fix swinging at anchor.

10/11/09

Left No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne for Gunn Key. 15 knot winds out of the East. We managed to use the Gulf Stream and a lucky shift in the wind to turn our SE tack into Dead East. Neat trick that. Seas are low, 2-3' - especially fine sailing on a clear night.

No feedback yet